Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Thus says the 3rd grader:

"Your food is always interesting." 

I find that my leftovers tend to be a conversation piece at school, and I love it!  While interesting was most likely meant in the interesting = strange category, I think it's important to show kids that there is more to food than retangular shaped pizza.  The lunch my students were"admiring" was a pizza that A. and I threw together (more on strange pizzas in another post). 



Little did my kids know was that was the least of the interesting that came out our kitchen that week. 

Drunken Pasta With Beets & Beet Greens

I wish that I had this for leftovers the day I had lunch with third grade.  It would have blown their minds.  This is a take off of a recipe from Rachel Ray's, Just In Time.  Her recipe calls for Swiss chard, but I really did not see the point of buying chard when there were perfectly good greens that came with my beets.  Making the meal was entertaining in itself as the liquid that the spaghetti cooks in is a 1.5 L bottle of merlot.  
The result--worm colored noodles. 


Then, in a seperate pan, we sauted garlic, onion, shredded beets (thank heavens food processors!), and beet greens.  Somewhere in the cooking process, chicken stock and wine from the pasta got thrown in too.  Mix in the wormy spaghetti and top with crescent rolls that looked like manatees and voila, smooching manatees atop a bed of romantic fushia colored spaghetti.  This could be a fun Valentines Day dish if you have a brave man to feed it to. 
     
 

The rest of the week wasn't nearly as experiemental but enjoyable. 

Seasoned Pork with Spiked Vodka Sauce, Spinach, and Spaghetti Squash


 
White Cheddar Risotto with Green Peas and Ham Garnish

Ok, I admit it, the frilly ham garnish was an excuse to rid ourselves of the week's sandwich ham. 


No comments: