Thursday, June 23, 2011

Blog neglect due to gardening, raw milk, and farm hopping

Where, oh where did May and June go? 

Since last posting, A and I have been busy, busy, busy with local food. 
  • May 7th we went on Greenville's Urban Farm Tour.  It was great to see businesses, schools, and homes gardening in urban settings.  We were encouraged by what we saw and are inspired to get on the tour in 2012. 
  • As a result of the farm tour and good timing, we were able to score some rain barrel materials.  A has hooked up two barrels and we have two more that need installed.  We will be able to store approx. 200 gallons of rain water to use in the garden!
  • We picked strawberries through June 11th at Sandy Flats Berry Patch and Beechwood Farm.  Strawberry jam was canned and stored, and we made strawberry ice cream!
  • May 14th we began picking up produce and meat shares from our CSA with Mini Miracles Farm.  We have been loving the grass fed beef, fresh eggs, and the variety of produce that we have been receiving each week! 
  • We also began buying raw milk from White's Jersey Dairy.  It's not far from Mini Miracles, so we make a point to try and get it when we pick up our CSA.  I say try because White's milk goes fast!  We've had a few instances where he's out of milk by the time we get there.  The milk is amazing and makes fantastic yogurt!  I'm pretty sure that we are hooked because we have gone to pick up milk at 10:45 pm. 
  • A and I visited my parents in Sumter, SC.  We enjoyed tornless blackberry picking at 6:30 am, and A went blueberry picking with the family while I enjoyed wedding festivities with a dear friend from highschool!  I must say that I am jealous that I was unable to participate in blueberry picking, but I have loved eatting them!  
  • So as you can see, we have been on the go.  Honestly, we haven't been in our yard as much as I would like, but our garden seems to be doing well!  We have harvested swiss chard, beets, radishes, summer squash, beans, tomatoes, potatoes, hot peppers, cucumbers, and lots of basil.  I will be posting pictures of our pretty produce and some of the tasty dishes that we have made!

No comments: