Last summer, my beet barriers were broken when I visited a friend in Maine. Her fiance, cooked a beet stew that tasted and looked fantastic. I was taken by the idea of eating something that was bright fuchsia. During that trip, I also experienced eating roasted beets and beet greens. I have since recreated the stew, made beets a staple item in our roasted vegetable mixes, tried a few other beet recipes, and grown them.
Looking at which beets to grow, I was excited by variety of colors. Of course there were the traditional dark burgundy beets but there were also golden beets and beets that looked like bulls eyes.
My first attempt growing beets was disappointing; they were small and woody.
I was given hope when I heard last year was a bad year for beets. It was nice to know that I wasn't the only one who had bum beets.
So, I tried again this spring and...
I had much better results!
1 comment:
They look beautiful! I had bad luck with mine last year too and didn't try again. Maybe next year.
Post a Comment