Friday, August 26, 2011

Fiber Fetish

Please note: The following fiber fetish has nothing to do with food. 

A couple of months before I got married, my friend had a knitting party.  It consisted of mostly knitting-newbies and a few knitting pros.  By the end of the evening the knitting bug had bit me.  That summer I knitted like it was my job.  Everyone in the family received a hand knit item for Christmas (dish rag, scarf, hat, fingerless gloves...).  After the gifts had been distributed I stopped knitting.  Work made life busy and the desire was lacking. 

Unlike my friend who can knit anytime and anywhere,  I find that I prefer to have long chunks of time to devote to my projects.  It's like a good book.  Once I start I can't put it down.  Well this past February, I pulled out an unfinished project.  My friend Kathy was getting married at the end of the month.  I had started beautiful blue fingerless gloves for her over a year before with the intention of them being a Christmas gift and two Christmases had passed.  I decided that my knitting hiatus had to end and that the bride would have something blue. 

I found that my knitting bug was coming back and just in time!  My best friend was expecting her first baby. This was perfect; my first baby blanket!  After more procrastination, lots of pattern searching, and yarn touching I got to work this summer knitting a blanket for baby Rose.  It took under two months.  I love the pattern--cabled owls!  It wasn't hard, but it wasn't so easy that it was boring. The yarn feels cozy and warm--great for the upcoming autumn in Maine!





1 comment:

State of Grace said...

I didn't even know you had a blog!! That blanket is gorgeous! (oh, and I need you to teach me your gardening skills...mine are lacking! haha)