Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Canning with A & K: Berries

The start of the 2011 canning adventures began with strawberries.  Thanks to $7/gallon, pick your own berries, A. and I had a "berry" good spring.  We enjoyed strawberries in our yogurt, salads, and by themselves.  We were also glad to can both freezer and water bath jams. 

Num, num!
Berries, berries in the pot...

Happy to be stirring while sitting!
Sometimes you have to stir a long time, so a stool is a useful tool!
Ack, mushed berry guts! 

 A. and I also canned blackberries in June.  Our visit to Sumter, SC resulted in 6:30 a.m. blackberry picking.  Again, prices were great on pick your own AND to top it off the blackberries were thornless.  I've already gotten spoiled by the ease of picking fat juicy berries and not getting bitten by the bushes.  I am hoping that one day thornless blackberries and raspberries will find a home in our yard.  I did not get pictures of our blackberries in the canning process but I did get some of them before they met their fate.

Beaucoup of berries!
Frozen berries
Getting up close and personal







No comments: